Imagined worlds: 5

Since my last blog post  I have finished the uvs on my second building and have thought about adding a few normal maps to my model. I have also imported what i currently have into substance painter. With the help of Billy and steven, I also figured out how to add custom materials onto the building, which is what is shown in this picture.

Building 2 half 1

Building 2 half 2

Both of the custom textures are from substance share. One called ‘Oldbrickgenerator’ and another

Advertisements

Imagined worlds: 4

I have started work on my second building. So far I have modeled the lowpoly version of the building and I am currently unwrapping the uvs.

Building 2 wip

Building 2.2 wip

This is my current progress on the building. The uvs for the window frame, main building body and the pillars have been unwrapped.

Building 2 uv 1These are the uvs for the main building.

Building 2 uv 1.2

I also used the same uv map for the the window frame and window sill in order to save space.

Building 2 uv 2

and this is the uv sheet for the pillars.

Building 2 amient.png

Here is an ambient occlusion render.

Imagined worlds: 3

This week i finished the texturing of my first building, It took a bit longer than i originally thought it would, due to the fact that my uvs weren’t done correctly. Each time I tried to bake ambient occlusion onto the building, it would not bake correctly since my uvs were out of place. So i had to go back and fix them. However I am content with my final result, and believe that it will look good in the scene.

Building 1

Building 1.2.2

I am satisfied with my work on this building, however I would like to change the amount of normal maps I have added to the low poly. As all I have added is the indented strip going around the building.

Building 1 amient

 

Imagined worlds: 2

This week we began the modelling of our 3D imagined worlds scene.We bagan by blocking out the scene and deciding who will work on what. The buildings were split between us, and we will be making 3 each, the rest will be duplicates of the ones we have already made, with small variations.

imagined worlds

I have nearly finished my first building. I have modeled the high poly and need to bake it onto the low poly.

imagined worlds2

Substance painter: class introduction

 

turtleDuring class today, we were introduced to substance painter. We were taught the basics of how to set up a project and paint a model. However since I have used substance painter for a few months now, I already knew the basics. Instead I looked at more advanced techniques, such as emmissive materials. However they are not shown in my model, as I had to restart several times. The model shown is a quick attempt at making a squirtle.

Imagined worlds

For my imagined worlds task I decided to go down the route of 3D modelling as that is what i want to be my focus for the rest of the year. I am in a group with 3 other people, Billy, Steven and Tazz. We had the idea of creating an underground city, at first it was going to be junk or scrap houses, and then we moved onto slums. I thought it would have been good to build the scene using sandstone type ruins, however that was quickly outdone by the idea of making the scene cyberpunk themed. An alleyway or a market/Plaza, we are currently unsure on what to create. However, I believe we are set in making the scene mostly cyberpunk and as bright and flashy as possible. We have separated the roles of the group accordingly. Billy will  be creating the environment, like the cave walls, and he will also be assembling the scene in unreal engine. Steven will be creating small props and will help with texturing. Tazz will also be creating small assets but will also be creating concept art. As for myself, I will be creating the larger assets like buildings and market stalls if we need them.

Portfolio reflection

Over the last few weeks i have not posted much of my work, as I have been working on my portfolio. However now that I have presented my portfolio and it is out of the way, I can start working on posting more work to my blog. But not before i reflect on my portfolio. I believe it went well, better than I ever expected. I ended up getting a merit. The work I had presented was high quality, however I was told that I needed to spread my time around my work more. I had mainly focused on 3D modelling and hardly did enough work on other subjects. However that is what I will need to do in my second year, so I will need to continue to do what I am doing.

High Poly asset: 4

Since the last blog post I made, I have imported the cloth model into substance painter and have textured it. I have then exported all of the textures for the model back to Maya and have made several renders.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Currently the model is good enough to use as my final piece, in my opinion. However, I want to make the lighting a little bit lighter, It is quite dark and hard to see in these renders, however there are parts of green and brown on the pallet that do not blend properly, and it looks quite weird. So I will be fixing them for the next blog post.

Other than these two things, I believe I have done quite well on this model.

Here are some renders of each part of the asset by themselves:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

High Poly asset: 3

Since my last blog post I normal mapped the barrels, in an attempt to make the barrel look more dented and messed up, as I am trying to create a rough post apocalyptic feel.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

The high poly barrel has 1500 tris, while the low poly has 900 tris.

I have also imported the Barrel and Pallet into Substance painter, with the normal maps plugged in. Here is what i currently have.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.